The services I offer are:
- Structural Editing (advice on overall structure)
- Stylistic Editing (advice on order, flow, and choice of wording)
- Copy Editing (checking all the details for accuracy, consistency, grammar, spelling, etc.)
- Proofreading (editing your typeset pages for both content and look)
- Indexing (back of the book)
I’m also happy to offer other services as well, including original writing or substantial rewriting.
Perhaps you are just getting started and need advice on how to get past the blank screen? Or you’ve written some pages already and need a second opinion on whether you are on the right track? Or you’ve written even more and know for a fact that you need a professional editor to edit it and help with the writing? Or you have done all you can with your piece and you need an editor to review it in detail. Contact me and we can talk as a free consultation.
Email me any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call or text me at 613-884-8953.
Because I’ve spent over 30 years writing my own novels and short stories, and also have studied English literature at university, I can especially help with not only editing but also critiquing of fiction. In addition, I’ve also spent the bulk of my career working in universities and have written, reviewed, and edited many academic articles and books, and so I also bring strong skills to the editing of theses or any academic material.
I have both a BA(Hons) and an MA in English language and literature, and am a member of Editors Canada, the national association representing professional editors. Check out my (brief) profile on the EC site here.
I also do volunteer editing:
- January to April 2021: I was a volunteer for the Endangered Alphabets Project, working on its Atlas of Endangered Alphabets. Under the guidance of the project’s president, Tim Brookes, I reviewed a large portion of the website, correcting errors, suggesting re-wordings and the addition of text, as well as developing a style sheet so that future editors and the publisher will have this important tool indicating what editorial choices have been made.
- March to May 2021: I provided a free assessment of writing to anyone who requested it, with no obligation for them to use any of my paid services afterwards, in an ad I maintained on kijiji. They sent me samples of up to 1,500 words in any form or genre, and I sent them an assessment of its pros and cons — not editing in detail, but providing an analysis pointing out issues to do with the overall structure, or flow of paragraphs, or sentence construction.
I don’tbut they do
(I can do writing or editing for the web, but I don’t do web or graphic design. These folks do though – they designed this website – and their knowledge is exceptional, their fees are reasonable, and they are easy to work with.)